The Forest Hills tennis tournament only came about after the long and fruitful history of the West Side Tennis Club which was founded in 1892 on Central Park West with only three clay courts to its name.
Although gaining in popularity, the West Side members were forced out of their rented home after only ten years at Central Park.
The venue now considered potentially too prosperous by its owners for it to be used solely for tennis. Despite this early set back, the club grew in stature and over the next twenty years West Side members were to relocate twice more, before finding their new home that was to accredit the now famous tournament with its name.
1912 saw the acquisition of the Forest Hills site in New York, however the club’s popularity required a 14,000 seat stadium rebuild to cope with public demand.
Finally, West Side players had a permanent home. The potential of the new Forest Hills site drew attention from the United States Lawn Tennis association and major world players alike, it was here that the U.S open and Grand Slam events were to flourish and become recognizable around the globe.
Tennis was at an all time high with the likes of Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Jimmy Connors and Rod Laver, all gracing the Forest Hills courts. Recognizing the near superstar status of these players, Adidas Forest Hills trainers were introduced and first worn by Professional tennis players in 1977, they offered the player much improved grip, breath ability and style on the courts.
Since then Adidas Forest Hills trainers have enjoyed over thirty years of success, although it has to be said the days of being classed as performance tennis shoes are some what over. Technology has surpassed the Forest Hill’s, now cult fashion footwear thanks to Adidas and the tennis heroes of the 70’s.